New industry-research partnership boosts battery innovation in Europe
Move underpins plans for a European Green Deal Industry support for European battery innovation roadmap
A global battery research group has joined forces with European battery manufacturers in a move designed to boost innovation in the technology and support decarbonisation.
The Consortium for Battery Innovation (CBI), a global research group developing advanced lead batteries has signed a memorandum of understanding with EUROBAT, the Brussels-based association representing Europe’s automotive and industrial battery manufacturers.
The move will help channel research and development into innovative battery energy storage systems which are critical to achieving the EU’s low carbon ambitions as part of a European Green Deal.
Dr Christian Rosenkranz, Vice President Industry and Governmental Relations, https://www.clarios.com/">Clarios EMEA and EUROBAT Board member, said the partnership with the Consortium underpins industry’s commitment to develop advanced lead batteries. As Consortium Vice-Chairman, Dr Rosenkranz is at the forefront of leading the industry-research partnership focusing on innovation in lead batteries as one of the critical technologies which will underpin electrification and decarbonisation targets.
He said: “We need to create a strong battery ecosystem in Europe, supporting a range of technologies with different strengths. Lead batteries already represent over 70% of the world’s rechargeable battery energy storage in everything from the cars we drive to the back-up systems for mobile phone networks. This partnership will support our efforts to develop the next generation of advanced lead batteries.”
Dr Alistair Davidson, Consortium for Battery Innovation Director added: “We are conducting pioneering research into next generation batteries and we have a technical roadmap setting out the research which is already underway to develop advanced lead batteries for a range of different applications. Europe already has an established and successful lead battery industry and by working closely with manufacturers we can further enhance our research capability, to ensure we are developing and making the advanced batteries Europe needs to support its low carbon future.”
The EU’s lead battery value chain is committed to supporting research which underpins climate goals, while also delivering economic growth, supporting highly-skilled jobs and sealing in the EU’s intellectual leadership in key technologies. The Consortium works with its members to broker and commission cutting edge pre-competitive scientific research. Their work stimulates innovation and underpins advanced lead battery technology.
The Consortium and EUROBAT will develop research projects designed to make a tangible difference to lead battery performance, while meeting the demands of end-users such as the automotive industry, industrial, and utility and renewable energy storage companies. The partnership agreement also signifies the growing role of lead batteries in meeting electrification and decarbonisation targets across the globe.
Under the agreement, the Consortium for Battery Innovation and EUROBAT will:
- Develop research and innovation projects with European members, research institutes and universities looking to improve lead battery performance.
- Organise workshops and events promoting lead battery innovation in the EU
- Pursue partnerships and funding opportunities with third parties
- Advocate for projects that support the EU’s long-term strategy
- Take part in relevant groups and battery innovation taskforces established by the EU
- Submit joint proposals for future lead battery research
- Develop joint technical and communications documents
EUROBAT has launched an information and awareness campaign called Charge the Future to highlight the key role lead batteries play in the European economy.
Notes to editors:
About Consortium for Battery Innovation:
- For more than 25 years, the Consortium has delivered cutting-edge research taking lead batteries to a new level for energy storage and automotive applications. With an expert panel made up of the world’s leading battery manufacturers and research specialists, the Consortium is setting the standard for advanced lead batteries and the next generation of energy storage. For more information, visit our website: batteryinnovation.org
- Consortium for Battery Innovation media contact: Fareha Lasker, +44 207 833 8090/+44 7936 371 985; firstname.lastname@example.org
- EUROBAT is the association for the European manufacturers automotive, industrial and energy storage batteries. EUROBAT has more than 50 members from across the continent comprising more than 90% of the automotive and industrial battery industry in Europe. The members and staff work with all stakeholders, such as battery users, governmental organisations and media, to develop new battery solutions in areas of hybrid and electro-mobility as well as grid flexibility and renewable energy storage.
- Charge the Future is a campaign by EUROBAT charting Europe’s innovative, low carbon lead battery value chain. The campaign identifies how Europe’s bid to become carbon neutral by 2050 is supported by lead batteries, specifically through delivering clean mobility, clean energy and by adopting circular economy principles. The campaign also highlights Europe’s battery growth potential through innovation.
- EUROBAT media contact: Gert Meylemans, +32 27611653 / +32 475 5656561; email@example.com